Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Evolution of Sleepovers

My sweet daughter has always been that child that never wants the party to end.  She has always been able to play with her friends for endless hours..begging for an extension of time.  We both enjoy making sleepovers as festive as possible. 

My earliest memories date back to her Kindergarten years when sleepovers lasted until bedtime..that's when I would get the phone call.."Kelsey's homesick."  There's something about needing your bed and your mommy that makes it hard to go to sleep at the age of five.

Preparation for a sleepover is involved; we jet on over to the grocery store and pick out their favorite snacks..and stop by Blockbuster because movies are a must, of course. 

Some of these sleepover "musts" have not changed.  However, I'm no longer the need for entertainment any more.  This has been bittersweet.  I adore kids and getting right in the middle of their fun.  This is not necessary anymore I've been told.  (sniff..sniff)  Such is the evolution of sleepovers...


Long gone are the days when I had to preface the night with, "Okay...nobody gets up until 7AM"  Now, I find myself tiptoeing around wondering if they will want to eat lunch or breakfast when they wake up.  Although, my sweet girl's curls still fan her pillow and revert my memories back to her five year-old days. 




We've gone from sippy cups filled to the brim with an over indulgence of chocolate syrup to the same recipe in "grown-up" coffee cups




Necessities of high fructose corn syrup snacks have managed to keep their appeal, but the empty wrappers have moved from the kitchen table to the...bathroom?  Yep, gotta have a snack when you're putting on make-up.




So long to Barbies...and Candy Land...say hello to Ipods.  It amazes me how many hours these tiny electronic devices can entertain an 11 year-old.



Wondering why it's quiet...no longer finding them sneaking into my closet trying on shoes..instead, they are editing photos on their Ipod..again!




Something that will never lose zest is a refreshing dip in the pool.  There's something tempting about a calm ripple in the water that makes you want to cannonball in and create waves.





Now I can actually relax without worry of little ones losing their "floaties"; they can swim, and I can sit back and read my pre-summer "trashy" book series, "Pretty Little Liars"..    I strongly recommend this!  It is mindless entertainment that will keep you wanting to read more. 


I look forward to sleepovers as much as Kelsey; we're never too old to get our friends together for a full night of laughs, high caloric snacks, and fun times.

4 comments:

  1. Loved it! Fun times...and I'm sure you'd be the best mommy in the middle of all the fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post!! Sleepovers were definitely different when we were young but still the same fun at heart! Kelsey is lucky to have such a "cool" mom!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Girls! We should have our own sleepover ;-) haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary!! This is SO cute!!! My favorite "photograph" is the Skittles pic, but my favorite "picture" is the part with Kelsey editing pics on her ipod in the sun coming through the window. I miss you both! <3

    ReplyDelete